power outage

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Nov 28 08:14:42 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:05:18AM -0800, Mike Spooner wrote:
> I didn't know if I should post this to questions or stable but here it
> is...
>
> We had a power outage and now /home won't mount.  Before the power outage
> all was fine.

Looks like the drive became damaged.  Maybe the power spiked (invest
in a UPS for next time :)

> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
> LBA=69103423
>
> CANNOT READ BLK: 54947584

> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
> LBA=69103423
> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
> LBA=69103445
> THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 54947584, 54947606,

Mount the drive read-only, copy off whatever data you can, and then if
you're lucky you may be able to recover the use of the drive if you
scrub it with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad1, but of course this will
destroy all data.

Kris