power outage

Mike Spooner spooner at scripps.edu
Mon Nov 28 08:05:33 GMT 2005

I didn't know if I should post this to questions or stable but here it
is...

We had a power outage and now /home won't mount.  Before the power outage
all was fine.
On boot I get the following...
.
.
.
Starting file system checks:
/dev/da0s1a: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/da0s1a: clean, 41075 free (587 frags, 5061 blocks, 0.8%
fragmentation)
/dev/ad1s1f: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
/dev/ad1s1e: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
/dev/da0s1d: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
/dev/ad1s1d: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
WARNING: /home was not properly dismounted
/home: mount pending error: blocks 37920 files 0
ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
LBA=69103423
mount: /dev/ad1s1f: Input/output error
WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
Mounting /etc/fstab filesystems failed, startup aborted
Boot interrupted
Enter full pathname...
#

At this point all partitions are mounted except /home

I get the following errors when running fsck

# fsck /home
** /dev/ad1s1f
** Last Mounted on /home
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=6 (37920 should be 0)
CORRECT? [yn] y

ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
LBA=69103423

CANNOT READ BLK: 54947584
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn] y

ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
LBA=69103423
ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
LBA=69103445
THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 54947584, 54947606,
fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 3087484824 bytes for inoinfo

There are two drives on this system (da0 and ad1).  There are two other
partitions on ad1 that mount with no problems and all partitions on da0
mount with no problems.

As root I've tried to run sysinstall and the disk label editor to try to
re-label the partitions on ad1 but when I select W, I get an error saying
it can't write to ad1.

Am I S-O-L or can I recover /home from this?  If so, how?

The system is running 5.3-RELEASE-p18

Thanks