DHCP client error: domain_not_set.invalid

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Nov 22 14:49:28 PST 2005

> Hi,
>
> >>I understand the idea that bad values should be rejected, but in
> >>reality, I have the same DSL modem that these others have and there is
> >>no way to change the domain search list that it sends. No way that I
> >>could find at least. This is SBC-Yahoo in California, so there are a lot
> >>of people out there with this modem.
> >

> > 	Well ring your ISP and complain.  Too many people just
> > 	accept crappy service.
>
> This is just the attitude that's going to get people to use other
> software. People are going to laugh at you trying to get a network
> connection and joke "it works fine with Windows". Then you try and
> explain that it's not your OS's fault and somebody messed up some
> setting somewhere else. And then they laugh some more watching you struggle.

	Actually it is reasonable.  Windows lets users violate RFC's
	in many ways.

> Furthermore it's really not realistic to expect that ISP's are going to
> do anything about it either. They have a billion other more important
> issues other than solving that insignificant problem that "that guy who
> is using an unsupported OS" has. They really don't care.

	Yes it is reasonable to expect ISP to fix things like this.
	You pay the ISP to operate there part of the network within
	the operational contraints of the RFCs (Standards track and
	BCP).

	RFC 952 specifies what is legal in a hostname.  While one
	can theoretically search for things other than hosts the
	only real use of the search strings today is for hostnames
	and/or mail domains (which are syntactically indentical to
	hostnames).

	What would be really interesting to know is what they expect
	the customers to find using this suffix.

	My bet is that this really is just a configuration error on
	their part.

	Mark