DHCP client error: domain_not_set.invalid

Sam Nilsson lists at servingpeace.com
Tue Nov 22 00:46:00 PST 2005

Mark Andrews wrote:
>> --61jdw2sOBCFtR2d/
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 07:14:00PM -0800, Mark Space wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> =20
>>> I just set up the latest 6.0 release, and I'm getting errors with the=20
>>> DHCP client.  Trying to pull a network address during start up, I get:
>>> =20
>>> Bogus domain search list 15: domain_not_set.invalid
>>> =20
>>> This repeats several times before giving up.  Google tells me that this=
>> =20
>>> problem was report by two users on the bsd-current list.  No one ever=20
>>> replied to their inquiries (at least on the list), so I thought to try=20
>>> once more to see if there's any interest in addressing this issue.=20
>>> =20
>>> More info was in the original post:
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-October/057034.ht=
>> ml
>>
>> We should really bitch and then ignore this value when it's bogus rather
>> than rejecting the lease.  We should also probably allow underscores
>> since they are popular among clueless Microsoft admins.  Please try the
>> follow patch.
>
> 	Yes.  They are clueless.  However giving into their cluelessness
> 	just perpetuates the cluelessness.
>
> 	Underscores have never been legal in hostnames.  Underscores
> 	are deliberately used to provide namespaces which do not collide
> 	with the hostname namespace.  Accepting underscores just allows
> 	the namespaces to collide.
>
> 	Mark

Sorry for the late reply. I just read this thread and this issue affects
me as well. Hopefully I'm not commenting on something that has been
fixed but I can't test STABLE at the moment to verify that...

I understand the idea that bad values should be rejected, but in
reality, I have the same DSL modem that these others have and there is
no way to change the domain search list that it sends. No way that I
could find at least. This is SBC-Yahoo in California, so there are a lot
of people out there with this modem.

I had to modify the source code to accept the lease anyway. Now my
network stops working every time I rebuild and forget to re-patch the
source. I shouldn't have to patch the source code to be able to accept a
lease. A single bad lease option shouldn't prevent a lease from being
accepted without choice.

dhcpd should either

1. accept bogus names (warnings are fine)
2. offer a configuration option or command line switch to allow the
bogus domain if we wish
3. offer a configuration option like isc-dhcpd does so that we can
ignore or override the setting

Number 3 is the best IMHO, number 2 is easier but similar, and number
one has already been done in less than a line of code and could be
deployed "right now".

- Sam Nilsson