Centralized building

Joseph Koshy joseph.koshy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 18:43:23 GMT 2005

> AFAICT cross-compiling amd64 on a i386 machine isn't supported
> yet. I ran into a similar problem when I upgraded an i386
> machine to amd64. I thought I could just set CPUTYPE=athlon-64
> and buildworld would do the right thing. Apparently not.

Bootstrapping a single machine is supported:

# make buildworld TARGET_ARCH=new-arch

plus a few other steps.  (See build(7)).

There have been a couple of postings on the mailing lists
on this topic in the recent past.  I've taken a stab at
describing how to cross-bootstrap too:

http://edoofus.blogspot.com/2005/10/cross-building-freebsd.html

The OP wanted to do a 'buildworld TARGET_ARCH=foo' on one
machine and then an 'installworld' on a different set of
machines.

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy