DHCP client error: domain_not_set.invalid

Sebastiaan van Erk sebster at sebster.com
Mon Nov 14 05:00:45 PST 2005

I had this as well. It means that your DHCP server returns an invalid
search domain.

The easy way to solve it (if you have access) is to set the search
domain to something valid in your DHCP server (Linksys router by any
chance?). I couldn't find a flag on dhclient to tell it to ignore
invalid search domains: this would be really handy so that you can
connect to badly set up networks when you don't have access to the router.

Greetings,
Sebastiaan