Problems with 5.x

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Thu Jun 30 16:27:19 GMT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:57:38 -0400
Matt Emmerton <matt at gsicomp.on.ca> wrote:

> to be frozen. Next, I installed 4.10 (which installs fine) and tried
> to cvsup to -stable, but had problems with buildworld.

More information required (as almost always):
- type and model of maxhine?
- dmesg output from 4.11 (or 4.10)
- describe in detail your buildworld problems (and any other problems),
specifically any error messages you might get.

Have you ruled out hardware problems? By running memtest86 for example?
(Yes, I know that 4.10 installs ok. That proves almost nothing.)

> Can anyone help me get 5.x (-stable) installed on this machine?

People on this list can probably suggest things to try that will help
you towards that goal, but so far I haven't found any mind readers on
this list. You will have to give us all information in the normal way.

> The machine is a clunker - P2-266 with 48MB RAM and a couple of 2GB
> ATA drives.

And you are not running out of space during buildworld?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,