Problems with 5.x

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Thu Jun 30 15:57:19 GMT 2005

I've been trying to get 5.x installed on a machine in order to evaluate
upgrading from 4.x, but am running into a host of troubles.

First, I tried to install 5.2. Booting from CD, BTX would halt with a
register dump.
Next, I tried to install 5.3.  Booting from CD, I'd eventually reach the
Beastie menu, but the screen scrolling was all messed up (I could see
fragments of my POST output, BTX loader and Beastie menu.)  At this point,
the timer was stuck at 10, keyboard input had no effect and the system
appeared to be frozen.
Next, I tried to install 5.4.  Booting from CD, I'd read the Beastie menu
(this time with properly-behaving console).  But again, the timer was stuck
at 10, keyboard input had no effect and the system appeared to be frozen.
Next, I installed 4.10 (which installs fine) and tried to cvsup to -stable,
but had problems with buildworld.

Can anyone help me get 5.x (-stable) installed on this machine?

The machine is a clunker - P2-266 with 48MB RAM and a couple of 2GB ATA
drives.

Thanks,
--
Matt Emmerton