After Install -- Where is FreeBSD?

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Mon Jun 20 17:50:50 GMT 2005

Am Montag, 20. Juni 2005 19:36 schrieb Benjamin Sher:
> Dear friends:
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 5.4. I have two primary HD: the first disk
> holds WinXP, the second disk now has FreeBSD.
>
> Well, the good news is that my first install of FreeBSD went perfectly.
> I selected ALL for installation of ports and packages so it took a good
> hour to install everything from my two CD's. And some of the packages
> encountered an error and could not be installed (they told me to look in
> the debugger for details).
>
> Windows XP came through completely unscathed and in perfect working
> order on my first primary HD.
>
> All that's missing now is FreeBSD. After completing my install, I
> exited. FreeBSD exited normally, then rebooted. But no sign of FreeBSD.
> Instead, Windows came up. I do recall choosing to have a boot manager
> but never actually saw the screen and boot-up options. So, I went back
> into Free BSD by switching back to the CD in my Bios, but that's as far
> as I dare go on my own. What should I do? Am I missing something?

You can define the first boot disk in your BIOS (usually) but that's not
convenient. You need a bootmanager.
WinXP has one, you can dump the loader from the BSD slice and copy it into
a location where the XP loader can read it.
Or you can use the FreeBSD BootEays manager, see boot0cfg.
I recommend using GAG (http://gag.sourceforge.net/) but grub and similar
should also work.

-Harry

P.S.: There's freebsd-questions@ for that kind of questions ;)