Quality of FreeBSD

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Jul 21 11:00:34 GMT 2005

On Thursday 21 July 2005 19:27, Marc Olzheim wrote:
> Thank you for expressing my exact same sentiments. I'm still a huge
> FreeBSD fan and switching to anything else (well, perhaps DragonFly)
> seems out of the question, but my faith is being tested a lot lately.
> Having switched some of my companies production machines to 5.4, since
> it was (in my eyes falsely) called a 'production release', FreeBSD's
> reputation within the less technical parts of the company has taken a
> large dent. Luckily they know as well that there's still no comparison
> to FreeBSD 4.x; top of my ruptime looks like:

I think the best way to rectify this is to test RC candidates on YOUR
hardware.. This finds the bugs you need fixed at a time when people are very
receptive to fixing them.

It's not realistic for the release engineer to test on a lot of hardware as
they are very busy doing other things.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum