Quality of FreeBSD

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Thu Jul 21 11:21:03 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:29:47PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I think the best way to rectify this is to test RC candidates on YOUR
> hardware.. This finds the bugs you need fixed at a time when people are very
> receptive to fixing them.
>
> It's not realistic for the release engineer to test on a lot of hardware as
> they are very busy doing other things.

Of course. That's why we test stuff first, before upgrading. However,
real world situations are always different from test setups and the kind
of race conditions that we're talking about that we were troubled by
didn't show up until we had it in production... But that's why I always
try to supply code to trigger the bug in my PRs after finding it, so
that it can be tested for a next release.

It's just that "this will probably not be fixed in 5.x" is not the thing
I like to hear. But as said, there's always 4.x, which is the most
stable OS I've seen in my open source UN*X life. Too bad that with 4.x I
get responses on libc_r's uthread like "libc_r is dead, please use KSE",
which don't help anyway. No need to burn your ships behind you just yet.
(Or whatever the expression is in English)

Marc