Another ata and dma problem - maybe because INTEL

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Jul 8 04:03:16 GMT 2005

At 09:49 PM 7/7/2005, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>i`m using freebsd releng_5 and got weird problem with AtA_DMA... I
>bought mobo with i865PE chipset and when I allow DMA transfer in
>BIOS for my TEAC cd-540E drive, freebsd fails to boot with:
>ATA_INTERRUPT was seen but timeout fired out with LBA=0.. I also
>tried applying a ATA mkIII with no luck(it tells me that ata_if.h is
>missing). When I remove teac from my system, it boots correctly. I
>tried also in loader.conf typing hw.ata.atapi_dma=0, but still the
>same...fails to boot. I`ve before this mobo with VIA kt333 chipset,
>and it allows me to set PIO4 for drive (with no problemo at freebsd boot)
>
>Any ideas or patches?

Just out of curiosity, check to make sure you have the latest
firmware for the Teac drive. I recall encountering problems with a
Teac CD-ROM drive on a new motherboard with a fairly new chipset on
the market (this was a long time ago) until I updated the firmware in
the drive. I couldn't boot any OS off the drive, yet it worked fine
on other motherboards. It's worth a shot. You might have similar
problems with any OS on that motherboard and CD-ROM drive.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain