Possible problems with Broadcom BCM5704C 10/100/1000 on Tyan Motherboard

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Feb 14 10:16:18 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Alan Jay wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 5.3 STABLE onto our new twin operteron Tyan Thunder K8S Pro
> S2882 with 8Gb of RAM and had a reasonably stable operation for a few days we
> installed a couple of databases one worked fine but the other kept on causing
> the server to crash.

I'm about to gain access to an S2881, which is a similar board (different
layout but same parts).

> I have searched the archive and there were issues last year but I couldn't
> work out if these have been totally resolved?
>
> The adapter does work fine in low levels of loading but when pushed (it is
> connected to a Gigabit switch) it seems to be the cause of the reboot - a what
> appeared to be stable server with moderate Ethernet activity was fine upping
> the activity with a new service caused regular reboots.
>
> There is no console message at the point of reboot to help that we have
> spotted.

Hm, triple fault or other hardware reset. This usually indicates bad
hardware.  Have you tried swapping the RAM between the systems and seeing
if the problem follows?  An unrecoverable ECC fault can cause a reboot,
along with strangeness caused  by temperature/power supply/etc.  Or the
board could be Just Plain Bad.

Considering you have one working machine, adn this is a very popular
board, I don't think it s abasic problem with FreeBSD and this hardware.
The worst thing reported is interrupt routing usually.