Possible problems with Broadcom BCM5704C 10/100/1000 on Tyan Motherboard

Alan Jay alan at cyclopsvision.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 08:20:01 PST 2005

Hi,

I have FreeBSD 5.3 STABLE onto our new twin operteron Tyan Thunder K8S Pro
S2882 with 8Gb of RAM and had a reasonably stable operation for a few days we
installed a couple of databases one worked fine but the other kept on causing
the server to crash.

I have searched the archive and there were issues last year but I couldn't
work out if these have been totally resolved?

The adapter does work fine in low levels of loading but when pushed (it is
connected to a Gigabit switch) it seems to be the cause of the reboot - a what
appeared to be stable server with moderate Ethernet activity was fine upping
the activity with a new service caused regular reboots.

There is no console message at the point of reboot to help that we have
spotted.

After some hunting around we found discussion about problems with this
motherboards on board Broadcom BCM5704C 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
controller on Linux last year and wondered if there were similar issues with
FreeBSD 5.3's Broadcom driver?

The problem only seems to happen when the controller is stretched with lots of
data as the other mySQL database runs fine but switching to the more load
intensive one causes issues.

Thanks in advance for your advice.