[5-STABLE] : CDRW burning problem - acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Feb 10 09:04:14 PST 2005

> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:41:21 +0100
> From: Marwan Burelle <Marwan.Burelle at lri.fr>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>

> --neYutvxvOLaeuPCA
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:29:55AM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > I get the same error on two machines, did some googling and found no
> > answers that helped.  (I fear I don't remember the details now.)  As I
> > don't have the error on another machine (all running 5.3 STABLE) I
> > figured it was something to do with the CD drive, a Plexor.
> >=20
> >=20
> > However, in my case at least, the burn is successful.  It does it's
> > thing, gives me that error message, I wait a few moments, eject the CD
> > and it is a good one.
>
> Chance you have. The burn failed a few seconds after I hit the return
> key ...
>
> What is strange is that I have the same behaviour with the same drive,
> but a different CDRW (a 1x-4x) but at that time with a 8x-12x it was
> working. I lead to thing to some strange behaviour of CDRW, but ...
>
> I have think also of mechanical problem, but I have the same error on
> another machine (with 5.2.1, but I've just done one try ... )

Is the firmware on the drive current? Many drives, some only a year old,
have problems working with newer media.

I have a DVD burner that suddenly would not burn a disk. The only change
was a new spindle of disks. It would only burn them at 1x and the
resulting disk was mountable and I could list files, but I could not
read the files.

A problem I had was that the firmware updater is Windows-only, so I had
to remove the drive and take it to a Windows system to do the update.
After the update, I re-installed it and it ran perfectly again.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)