recompile, harddrive(partition) error

Damian-Fekete Andrei andreidf at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 16:16:40 PST 2005

--- dima <_pppp at mail.ru> wrote:

> > Hello,
> > My first day with a BSD system so.. be gentle
> please.
> > :)
> You have done something weird for sure...
> 1. unwind.h is only found in gcc and the kernel
> sources for ia64.
> 2. the FreeBSD kernel is pure C, so it does not use
> libstdc++.
> 3. 5.3 contains gcc version 3.4.2 as the default
> compiler.

1. Don't know what caused that..
2. I've had problems with libstdc++ while make
buildworld, not buildkernel.
3. You're right.

> Some common suggestions now:
> 1. it is highly recommended to keep the world and
> the kernel in sync (you can find the proper order of
> upgrade in /usr/src/Makefile comments).
> 2. the only safe compiler options for kernel/world
> builds are -O -pipe.
> 3. use security/errata branch (RELENG_5_3) for work
> since RELENG_5 can sometimes be broken during large
> commits.

What I've done:
removed everything under /usr/src and /usr/obj
cvsup'ed sources with stable-supfile.
edited the GENERIC file for building the kernel
make buildworld -> no errors
make buildkernel -> no errors
make installkernel -> no errors

reboot... :( same stuff

Same problem. So? Any solution? I'd even reinstall
everything but I guess that's not the issue.
Another question is that I see that in the handbook it
says to edit the GENERIC (a copy of it) file under
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/ . I've commented lines for
devices that I don't need (extra network cards etc.)
but is this the right way? Don't I have to do
something like "device rl = 0". I see that make
buildkernel compiles that as modules... I don't really
want that. Or do I? Should I edit files from
/usr/src/sys/conf (?) ?
I could post my GENRERIC modified file somewhere so
you could take a look or it (or mail it to you)... I
don't have any "outrageous" in make.conf (just cpu se
on pentium3, because i've got a celeron tualatin) and
CFLAGS= -O -pipe.

andrei