[HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Feb 3 12:33:35 PST 2005

On Feb 3, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> Well-behaved 3rd party scripts ought to start Perl via:
>> #! /usr/bin/env perl
>
> Why should the authors of those scripts break them for systems which
> have /bin/env?

Name one such system. [1]

Hint: the path to env isn't going to change on a standards-compliant
system for the same reason that /bin/sh is always found in the same
place.  See IEEE Std 1003.x-2001 ("POSIX").

--
-Chuck

[1]: You might actually find a few very old, very broken versions of
Linux which don't have a /bin/sh, only a /bin/bash.  I've heard such
creatures may have a /bin/env rather than a /usr/bin/env, too.