3ware 7506, FreeBSD 4.x, Maxtor Disks & SMART Problems.

Carroll Kong me at carrollkong.com
Wed Sep 8 12:24:58 PDT 2004

Hi, in reference to this
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2004-June/007828.html

I have a FreeBSD 4.10-p2 system, using a 7450 with 4xMAXTOR 6L080J4  (80
gig) disks.

Raid 5 setup.

      Monitor version: ME7X 1.01.00.035
      Firmware version: FE7X 1.05.00.036
      BIOS version: BE7X 1.08.00.044

(Firmware 7.5.3 basically).

I am also having the same problems you are having.  Randomly under heavy I/O
the system will just halt I/O requests.  No error messages on the console,
it would just start to hang and halt completely.  (no kernel panics at all).

I believe I have the same problem you do.  Were you able to resolve the
issue or narrow it down?  The machine is not local, but I am curious if you
did resolve it, what version of FreeBSD did you have?  What firmware?  And
did you have to do the powermax testing on all the disks or not?

I cannot easily do the powermax testing yet, and my firmware is older and I
am still running into this problem (which should have all the twe driver
fixes).

I tried using "Smartmontools" to verify if the Maxtor disks are okay since
they only work for Linux + 3Ware.

Thanks in advance!

- Carroll Kong