Beastie/ how about Mozilla?

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at bfoz.net
Mon Nov 29 22:00:32 PST 2004

Scott Long wrote:
  > Please drop the religious argument.  My decision was based on months of
> experience, not a single email.  I'm most concerned that we are allowing
> ourselves to be so distracted by it.  If you don't like it, don't use
> it.  If you like it, use it.  If you don't like those that don't like
> it, please keep it to yourself.

So, what was the actual reason for the commit?

Negelcting, for a moment, your claim to have a real reason, which I
don't doubt, its just that we/I don't have it at hand...this thread was
started by religious issues. So either the religious argument is
relevant in this thread or we declare that religion has no place here
(and therefore this thread shouldn't have been started the way it was).
I vote for the latter.

Now to add my rant...
To the orignal poster: in my experience, this group doesn't make design
decisions based on religious issues, or anything other than
technical/practical issues (ideally). For future reference, the best way
to get something changed around here is to present a good solid
technical reason for the change. As you just saw, arguing for a design
change based on delicate sensibilities is not looked well upon by the
community. Hopefully it was just a mistake and not the attempt to add
religiosity to our fine OS that I'm sure some people took it as.

Hopefully Scott will come up with a good argument for the loss of the
boot menu so that I don't look like a liar :)

To everyone else: IMHO, The proper response to this would have been
pointing out that the request wasn't based on anything that this group
uses to make design decisions. Despite how strongly we all felt the
looming spectre of religiosity, the bashing was innapropriate. And it
was certainly below any reasonable standard of our culture.

--
Brandon Fosdick
http://www.terranspace.org