Beastie/ how about Mozilla?

Rob MacGregor freebsd.macgregor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 13:31:56 PST 2004

On Monday, November 29, 2004 9:22 PM, Michael Nottebrock <> unleashed the
infinite monkeys and produced:
> However, things start to become ugly when utterly irrelevant complaints
> about
> utterly irrelevant logos make committers disable USEFUL functionality, like
> the boot-menu. We NEED the boot-menu, we don't need any kind of logo in it.
> So
> please, Scott, put back the menu and just delete the ascii art or at least
> confirm that the menu is going to reappear in some way or the other.

[AOL] Me too [/AOL]

Seriously, the boot menu is rather useful - saves from having to remember how to
get into "safe mode" when you've just hosed your system.  Also makes
disabling/enabling ACPI trivial.  The logo is a "nice to have" IMO, purely
because it's an eye catcher - I've had chats with people about FreeBSD after
they see the logo, and ask what it is.  A few even seemed interested enough to
try out FreeBSD.

I'd rather like the option of switching the logo on, but default to it off for
those who find it offensive.  I'll be honest and say that I don't understand
people finding ASCII art such as the Beastie offensive, but everybody is
entitled to their own opinion (yeah, even me :>).

--
 Rob | Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!