the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

M. L. Dodson bdodson at scms.utmb.edu
Mon Nov 29 17:14:51 PST 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 05:32 pm, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> Am Mo, den 29.11.2004 schrieb Michael Nottebrock um 22:07:
> > Paulo wrote:
> > > You are forgetting that there are many people that really need fast
> > > 3D graphics. In the place I work there are people working on computer
> > > animation, 3D models visualization on linux, solaris and freebsd.
> >
> > I wonder what kind of applications they would use on FreeBSD for such
> > tasks. Custom developed? And if so, why on FreeBSD, which really isn't
> > a logical choice for a 3D graphics workstation platform?
>
> There are several modelling tools e.g. for povray out in the wide world.
> Another example of 3D advantage is CAD in general, architectural
> modellers (don't know names either, but there were more than ten approx.
> 2 years ago) and programs like varicad/linux for mechanical design. I
> can imagine several ports would benefit (candidates may be: astk,
> calculix, pythoncad to name only a few).
>
> I was always happy with 4.x having support for 3D acceleration even in
> the linux emulation. I'm still waiting for the native 3D mechanical CAD
> program ... ;)
>
> And the second part of your question: think of povray-mpi for
> distributed computation, very good reason for having rock stable systems
> with the power to serve. Another reason is not to use windows and not to
> fiddle with the peculiar details of several different linux
> distributions (besides grasping the right libraries for the emulation).
>
> Most of the other reasons for FreeBSD are well known to anyone using it.
>
> Marc

Some of us work in fields where molecular graphics is important.
Several open source molec. graph. applications exist (e.g. pymol
in the ports).  OpenGL is _required_, but Radeon cards work
sufficiently well for most uses.  All the world is not
engineering, folks.

Bud Dodson

M. L. Dodson                                bdodson at scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790