the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

Paulo l1 at npf.deec.uc.pt
Tue Nov 30 00:53:35 PST 2004

Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> Paulo wrote:
>
>> You are forgetting that there are many people that really need fast
>> 3D graphics. In the place I work there are people working on computer
>> animation, 3D models visualization on linux, solaris and freebsd.
>

> I wonder what kind of applications they would use on FreeBSD for such
> tasks. Custom developed? And if so, why on FreeBSD, which really isn't
> a logical choice for a 3D graphics workstation platform?

Yes custom developed, we are a research lab.  The question is not why
freebsd, for me the question is "why not freebsd". It just needs good
drivers for 3D graphics cards, the usual GL libraries (for instance),
and the applications will appear.

There is something that intrigates me, I use FreeBSD since 1.x and I
still see people saying that
FreeBSD is not for this kind of application or that. Sorry but I don't
know of any limitation in the OS that precludes its use with  computer
graphics applications, office, multimedia etc. Just bring in the
necessary drivers and libraries and it will be as good as any other OS
for developing any kind of applications.

Paulo