Cannot install 5.3 on tyan tiger 133

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Mon Nov 29 07:30:53 PST 2004

Hi Mark,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz>"
To: To freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 29 Nov, 2004 07:17 GMT
Subject: Cannot install 5.3 on tyan tiger 133

> Recently I decided to make the switch from 4.x to 5.x, now that 5 has
> moved to stable. So about a week ago I installed 5.3 on my workstation
> machine, a Tyan Trinity 400. All went well, so yesterday I decided to do
> my "server" - a Tyan Tiger 133. Since these shared the same chipset I
> thought all would go well too.
>
> Not the case, I cannot even boot from the 5.3 cd - the machine hangs or
> reboots immediately upon trying to boot the (I get a fleeting glance at
> the drive mappings, that is all). I have verified the checksums on the
> iso image I used (and the same cd installed the Trinity with no problems)

I've got the same problem here on a Tyan Tiger 230 (http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tiger230.html). As well as with your experiences, I can't seem to boot two sets of FreeBSD-5.3 REL CD-ROM sets from different suppliers. Here's what I get with any of the 5.3 REL installation cd's:

Just at the point where you'd expect the /sbin/loader bit to start that goes into the FreeBSD boot process, I get lots of (what appears to be hex numbers) gibberish scrolling up the screen. Like you I thought that I might have a faulty cdrom drive, but swapping in a (sealed) drive produced the same results.

However, the FreeBSD-4.10 REL cd's do appear to "start" working through the installation, but then I get lots of errors / warnings as follows:

acdo: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices... done

These scroll up the screen for ages and do not appear to be going anywhere - at which point I power down the system.

> This machine was running 4.10, and in case I have a suddenly bad cdrom,
> I have installed 5.1 (the only other 5.x series I have lying around),
> which completes fine.

I've not got 5.1, but I did try the 5.2.1 CD-ROM Set (from BSDMall) as well with the same failure. What I was able to do is successfully install MS Windows 2K Pro, 2K Server & Fedora Core-3 on the same hardware over the last few hours - in fact, its now running Fedora Core-3 (apparently) happily. I've attached the dmesg from the Fedora install for anyone that might be intested in what the problem might be.

Regards,

Stacey