Cannot install 5.3 on tyan tiger 133

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sun Nov 28 23:14:37 PST 2004

Recently I decided to make the switch from 4.x to 5.x, now that 5 has
moved to stable. So about a week ago I installed 5.3 on my workstation
machine, a Tyan Trinity 400. All went well, so yesterday I decided to do
my "server" - a Tyan Tiger 133. Since these shared the same chipset I
thought all would go well too.

Not the case, I cannot even boot from the 5.3 cd - the machine hangs or
reboots immediately upon trying to boot the (I get a fleeting glance at
the drive mappings, that is all). I have verified the checksums on the
iso image I used (and the same cd installed the Trinity with no problems)

This machine was running 4.10, and in case I have a suddenly bad cdrom,
I have installed 5.1 (the only other 5.x series I have lying around),
which completes fine.

Any ideas?

More detailed specs on the machine:

- Tyan Tiger 133 (S1834 Rev G)
- 2xPIII 700/100/256 , 2G RAM, Promise TX2000, 2xMaxtor Plus 8 ATA-133 40G

regards

Mark