the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

Paulo l1 at npf.deec.uc.pt
Mon Nov 29 04:43:42 PST 2004

Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Yes.. that's why I also have Windows installed for a game every now
> and then.  I just wanted to point out that the current generation
> Radeons do, in contrast to what has been claimed before, actually work
> with the current Xorg release (which unfortunately hasn't arrived in
> ports yet, as it seems, but is available via patchsets from the ports
> maintainer).  With "work", I mean, solid 2d performance (supported by
> the radeon driver, not Vesa).  I see 3d support as a nice add-on but
> not as the core functionality.

You are forgetting that there are many people that really need fast 3D
graphics. In the place I work there are people working on computer
animation, 3D models visualization on linux, solaris and freebsd.
All this is being developed in opengl (as raytracing are just for final
work purposes) so we need very fast 3D graphics.
So please add *solid 3D graphics performance* to you definition of "work".

Paulo