the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

Matthias Buelow mkb at mukappabeta.de
Sun Nov 28 16:44:24 PST 2004

Pertti Kosunen wrote:

>> The newer cards work very well.  I have a X800se PCI-Express card and
>> it works like a charm with X.org 6.8.1 on 5.3.  The only thing that's
>>
> Isn't that pretty expencive for 2d use?

Yes.. that's why I also have Windows installed for a game every now and
then.  I just wanted to point out that the current generation Radeons
do, in contrast to what has been claimed before, actually work with the
current Xorg release (which unfortunately hasn't arrived in ports yet,
as it seems, but is available via patchsets from the ports maintainer).
  With "work", I mean, solid 2d performance (supported by the radeon
driver, not Vesa).  I see 3d support as a nice add-on but not as the
core functionality.

--
   Matthias Buelow; mkb@{mukappabeta,informatik.uni-wuerzburg}.de