graid3 - requirements or manpage wrong?

Brian Szymanski ski at indymedia.org
Fri Nov 26 21:14:32 PST 2004

>>> That is not completely fair for vinum....
>>>
>>> I've been running vinum now for the better of 3-4 years, and even
>>> with a set of very flaky seagate IDE drives I never lost a byte.
>>> Vinum has served me well, and I trust gvinum will get there as
>>> well.  I just left my fileserver at 5.1, which I know is not an
>>> option for everybody.
>
> Brian> Are you using vinum Raid5 ? I'm considering rolling back to 5.1
> Brian> myself if someone attests that things "just work" there with
> Brian> R5, then waiting for gvinum to mature before getting my machine
> Brian> back on stable.
>
> Brian> Also, when did vinum stop working in favor of gvinum? is it
> Brian> with 5.3?  Could I expect 5.2.1 to work? Pardon the barrage of
> Brian> questions, but it would take me hours to test each case, so if
> Brian> anyone knows, drop me a line.  Thanks!
>
> In 5.3, it appears that you can load vinum or gvinum.  Vinum appears
> to have the functionality (and bugs) that it had back in 5.1.  The
> only missing function seems to be the ability to swap to a vinum
> volume.

Actually I experienced a number of bugs with vinum in 5.3 that proved
fatal to a root vinum install (in fact, everything on the second ATA
channel was marked down after every reboot if I recall correctly).

As for the swap: why would you want to do that? It was my understanding
that the kernel load balanced swap requests across drives?

Cheers,
Brian

--
Brian Szymanski