graid3 - requirements or manpage wrong?

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Fri Nov 26 14:02:52 PST 2004

>> That is not completely fair for vinum....
>>
>> I've been running vinum now for the better of 3-4 years, and even
>> with a set of very flaky seagate IDE drives I never lost a byte.
>> Vinum has served me well, and I trust gvinum will get there as
>> well.  I just left my fileserver at 5.1, which I know is not an
>> option for everybody.

Brian> Are you using vinum Raid5 ? I'm considering rolling back to 5.1
Brian> myself if someone attests that things "just work" there with
Brian> R5, then waiting for gvinum to mature before getting my machine
Brian> back on stable.

Brian> Also, when did vinum stop working in favor of gvinum? is it
Brian> with 5.3?  Could I expect 5.2.1 to work? Pardon the barrage of
Brian> questions, but it would take me hours to test each case, so if
Brian> anyone knows, drop me a line.  Thanks!

In 5.3, it appears that you can load vinum or gvinum.  Vinum appears
to have the functionality (and bugs) that it had back in 5.1.  The
only missing function seems to be the ability to swap to a vinum
volume.

Dave.