Portupgrade script.

Andy Smith andy at freebsdwiki.org
Tue Nov 9 03:02:44 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 10:39:02AM +0000, Yann Golanski wrote:
> Would people be kind enough to have a look at the following script and
> tell me what horrors/faux pas/stupid things I have done?
>
> The script is an almost automated way to upgrade all your ports to the
> latest version.

Without looking further I'd say this is a bad idea because sometimes
an upgrade to a port radically changes its functionality or does
something else inconvenient.  For example, upgrading
databases/mysql*-server will shut down a running mysql server.

You need to be manually reading /usr/ports/UPDATING before each
update.

What I tend to do is automate the cvsup and then email a report of
what could be upgraded.  The actual upgrades are done
semi-automatically with a portupgrade -arR after checking it isn't
going to do anything untoward.