how to interpret crash?

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Thu May 27 17:31:07 PDT 2004

On May 27, 2004, at 19:55, Robert Watson wrote:

> you need.  If you've cvsup'd and no longer have the source code for the
> old kernel, regardless of having debugging symbols, you're in a much
> worse
> starting point for tracking down the problem.

I don't pretend to have the knowledge to actually fix a kernel issue.
:> I would simply want to have a way to provide a useful backtrace for
developers. Even if I cvsup'd I could always use CVSWeb to look at the
previous revision.

> One important reason that the debugging kernel isn't kept around is
> space
> considerations: in -CURRENT, a 5mb kernel will generally be
> accompanied by

Yes, this is why I suggested a variable in make.conf with an .if
statement in the Makefiles.

Searching through the the Makefiles: around line 193 in file
sys/conf/kern.post.mk you have (from a 5.2.1-p7 system):

.if defined(DEBUG) && defined(INSTALL_DEBUG)
         ${INSTALL} -p -m 555 -o root -g wheel ${FULLKERNEL}
${DESTDIR}${KODIR}
.else
         ${INSTALL} -p -m 555 -o root -g wheel ${KERNEL_KO}
${DESTDIR}${KODIR}
.endif

Would changing it to the following work?

.if defined(DEBUG) && defined(INSTALL_DEBUG)
         ${INSTALL} -p -m 555 -o root -g wheel ${FULLKERNEL}
${DESTDIR}${KODIR}
.else
         ${INSTALL} -p -m 555 -o root -g wheel ${KERNEL_KO}
${DESTDIR}${KODIR}
.if defined(INST_KERNDEBUG)
         ${INSTALL} -p -m 555 -o root -g wheel ${FULLKERNEL}
${DESTDIR}${KODIR}
.endif
.endif

I haven't checked how FULLKERNEL is defined.