how to interpret crash?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu May 27 17:53:26 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 13:55, Robert Watson wrote:
> I don't debate your basic point that on a stable system, you're least
> likely to find the symbols when you most need them, as the system will run
> fine for a long time and then run into some edge case, unusual hardware
> failure mode, or whatever, and given that it's been stable for years, you
> will find yourself with little debugging recourse.  That's where tricks
> like using nm to track down the symbols, turning on dumps by default,
> compiling with the necessary DDB bits to generate a stack trace, etc, can
> come in quite handy.

I think turning on dumps by default is a good habit for sys admins to
get into :)

If the system dies and cores then you can rebuild your kernel with
debugging symbols and see where it died. At least that's _supposed_ to
work from what I've heard :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum