[kern/60555] vinum volume as a swap device not possible on FreeBSD 5.2.1

Jeff Fisher jeff+freebsd at jeffenstein.org
Tue May 18 22:52:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:39:34AM +0400, Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 03:36:11 +0200
> "Conrad Burger" <conrad.burger at swistgroup.com> wrote:
>
> CB> I am trying to mirror a servers swap partition using vinum, but it
> CB> doesn't seem to
> CB> be possible in FreeBSD 5.2.1.
>
> I'm sorry, but what's the point of mirroing swap? You're trying to lower performance of VM system?

If swap is not mirrored, and this disk dies, the system will crash.  If
everything is mirrored, the system can be brought down for maintenance in a
regularly scheduled window rather than crashing immediately.  Even better is
if the disks are hot swappable, the system never needs to go down at all with
a disk failure.

--
jeff at jeffenstein.org                  http://www.jeffenstein.org/
It's the opinion of some that crops could be grown on the moon.  Which