FreeBSD 4.10 and IBM servers with RAID

Mike Lambert lambert at jeol.com
Fri May 7 06:36:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Marc Olzheim wrote:

> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:51:11AM +0200, Morten A. Middelthon wrote:
> > is anyone here running FreeBSD 4.9 or 4.10 on newer IBM servers using RAID? A
> > customer wants to get IBM 2U rack-mounted servers which we will install
> > FreeBSD on, and before we get that far I would like to confirm that FreeBSD
> > supports the RAID controllers on these things. The alternative is to get
> > HP/Compaq servers.
>
> Depends om the RAID controller, I guess. The ips driver (IBM (Adaptec)
> ServeRAID) is present on FreeBSD 5, but not on 4...

True. The ServeRAID controllers are not (yet?) supported in 4.

I am running 4.9 on IBM x300, x305, and x335 (sorry, no 2U models).
The x335 has a built-in (motherboard) LSI RAID chip (53C1020) that is
supported by the FreeBSD mpt driver. RAID 1 mirroring has worked well,
though I have yet to attempt to monitor the controller from the OS (if
that is even possible).

--
Michael Lambert
Systems Admin, IT Dept