FreeBSD 4.10 and IBM servers with RAID

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Fri May 14 11:42:52 PDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Mike Lambert wrote:

> True. The ServeRAID controllers are not (yet?) supported in 4.
>
> I am running 4.9 on IBM x300, x305, and x335 (sorry, no 2U models).
> The x335 has a built-in (motherboard) LSI RAID chip (53C1020) that is
> supported by the FreeBSD mpt driver. RAID 1 mirroring has worked well,
> though I have yet to attempt to monitor the controller from the OS (if
> that is even possible).

Huh. I tried this and I got panics consistent with severe data corruption
when running with the integrated mirroring enabled.  It was acting like
writes were going to only one side of the mirror but it was reading from
both.

I pawed through the linux driver and decided that it requires OS support,
since the linux driver knows how to access the underlying physical
devices.