via envy24 (ice1724)

Andrew Reilly areilly at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 25 18:00:49 PDT 2004

Hi Michael, David,

Thanks for posting that link, Michael.  I'll have a look at that if I
have time (not likely in the present circumstances, but you never
know).  I've got a Midiman-1010 that uses the same chip (I believe).
I've been using it on FreeBSD-4-STABLE for a year or two with the aid
of the commercial OSS driver from 4Front-Technologies.  Yes, that costs
money, but it does work, and it's a trivial amount, compared to the
sound card itself.

Never the less, I want to move the card to a more embedded sound-server
sort of arrangement that won't necessarily be running FreeBSD-4.  I
also want to upgrade my FreeBSD to 5- at some stage (soon), and that'll
require another licence and another driver from 4Front, at least.  So
the time has come to see if I can make it fly on its own...

The other catch with using the OSS driver is that I have to remember to
replace /usr/include/sys/soundcard.h with the OSS one, because
FreeBSD's soundcard architecture has diverged a bit, and isn't
completely compatible any more.  I still have the odd spot of bother
with some ports.

Another point: in response to your original message, I did a small
google search, and found a lonely mailing list post to
tech-misc at netbsd.org from one Joachim Thiemann, who said that he was
working on the same problem in that context.  That was in 2002; it
might be worth seeing how he got on.  (There isn't an Envy24 driver in
NetBSD-current, so maybe it's not finished either.)

Cheers,

--
Andrew