via envy24 (ice1724)

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Fri Jun 25 15:16:21 PDT 2004

On Friday 25 June 2004 22:23, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 02:10:12PM -0600, David Bishop wrote:
> > I am a recent convert to FreeBSD (a week ago tomorrow) after
> > many years of running debian.  So far it's been pretty interesting,
> > if only to see how very many things are different.  I think my
> > favorite part so far has been the feeling of integration.
> >
> > Anyways, the reason for emailing is that I am trying to get my
> > sound card up and going.  It is a generic brand card that uses
> > the Via Envy24 (that is, IC Ensemble 1724) chipset.

A driver was started and got pretty far, then the author disappeared. I keep
an archive around at http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/envy24.tar.gz. It
doesn't compile under recent -CURRENT or 5.2.1-Release anymore, but the
changes required are rather minor. However, it also doesn't work on my own
envy24-based card, so this really needs a maintainer with know-how (that's
where I drop out) and test hardware to get this into a working state.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org