Dell PE750 w/SATA

ueda at netforest.ad.jp ueda at netforest.ad.jp
Thu Jun 24 05:59:47 GMT 2004

> | > It is a Dell PE750 with:
> | (snip)
> | > - CERC SATA RAID Controller (6 channel)
> |
> |   Though I have tested Dell PE750 with SATA RAID1(without SCSI) using
> | FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8, the installer could not find the disk :-(.
(snip)
> Scott added the PCI device ID's to -current atleast.  I have a bunch of
> the CERC SATA cards around here but haven't recently tested them recently.
> We went with my SATA/ata-raid patches and skipped the CERC card.
>
> Doug A.

Thanks Doug A.

  I have tried same machine with 5.2-CURRENT-20040623-JPSNAP.iso which
can be obtained from http://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/. Installer can
recognize SATA RAID1 drive as aacd0 :-). A few steps were processed
without any error but installer stopped after following message:

	Making a new root filesystem on /dev/aacd0s1a

  With "ALT-F2", I saw some messages which was ended with the following
line:

	Entropy device is blocking. Dance fandango on keyboard to unblock.

But I cannot install to Dell PowerEdge 750 SCSI RAID1(PERC 4/SC) with
same ISO image, too. So there may be some problem which is not related
with SATA.

I hope it will be fixed on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE :-).

-----
UEDA Hiroyuki <ueda at netforest.ad.jp>
Net Forest Inc., JAPAN