keeping my freebsd secure...

Haim Ashkenazi haim at babysnakes.org
Sun Jun 13 07:33:09 GMT 2004

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:22:34 +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:

>> I've tried to upgrade with portupgrade the three packages that according
>> to portaudit have problems (mc, png, mysql-client). the response was that
>> there's no need to upgrade (version stays the same). do I stay with these
>> versions and try to upgrade every day (until a fix will be released) or is
>> there some setting I have to change in order to access a newer version?
>> [...]
>
> Your ports directory hasn't been updated. Portupgrade will check what
> you have installed against the metadata in the port directory and decide
> whether to upgrade or not.
>
>> sorry if these are basic questions, I'm sure that I can find all the
>> answers on the web but as I said before, I have to make this server
>> up and running in 2 days and I want at least to keep it safe...
>
> check the section in the FreeBSD handbook about keepiny your system up
> to date with cvsup. You should do this both for your ports collection
> and your source tree (to patch/upgrade it, as it is independent of the
> port system). Here, you will also have to decide whether to follow
> -STABLE or -CURRENT.
does the -STABLE branch on the ports offer all the security fixes (the
example file use -CURRENT)? I remember reading somewhere that the
-CURRENT ports are not guaranteed to compile under stable system.

btw, I have an old book "The complete FreeBSD" which I bought about 4
years ago (when I thought of trying freeBSD. I didn't use it then because
I couldn't make it recognize my ISDN). is it still relevant?

--
Haim