keeping my freebsd secure...

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Jun 13 01:23:11 GMT 2004

> I've tried to upgrade with portupgrade the three packages that according
> to portaudit have problems (mc, png, mysql-client). the response was that
> there's no need to upgrade (version stays the same). do I stay with these
> versions and try to upgrade every day (until a fix will be released) or is
> there some setting I have to change in order to access a newer version?
> [...]

Your ports directory hasn't been updated. Portupgrade will check what
you have installed against the metadata in the port directory and decide
whether to upgrade or not.

> sorry if these are basic questions, I'm sure that I can find all the
> answers on the web but as I said before, I have to make this server
> up and running in 2 days and I want at least to keep it safe...

check the section in the FreeBSD handbook about keepiny your system up
to date with cvsup. You should do this both for your ports collection
and your source tree (to patch/upgrade it, as it is independent of the
port system). Here, you will also have to decide whether to follow
-STABLE or -CURRENT.

Best,
Beto