Mysql Problems

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Wed Jun 9 21:12:46 GMT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Kyle Mott wrote:

> I've now done buildworld twice, to no avail; for some reason, every 1-3
> minutes a new mysql process is started, for which looks like no apparent
> reason. Mysql on this machine is used very rarely, though it does get
> checked by Nagios regularly.

MySQL forks a child (or starts a new linuxthread depending on how its
configured) for each connection. The Nagios check would cause the new
process to be spawned. They should just exit, though. Check 'mysqladmin
processlist' or 'show processlist;' from the monitor to see who's
connected and what they're doing.

Its also possible that mysql will keep threads around once they've been
used to avoid exiting & respawning threads constantly. I haven't run MySQL
4.x and looked at it that closely.