newbie question about compiling kernel on compaq proliant 6400R

Haim Ashkenazi haim at babysnakes.org
Wed Jun 9 09:00:25 GMT 2004

Hi

I have compaq proliant 6400R dual xeon that I just installed with freebsd
4.10 (my first freebsd, although I have a lot of experience in linux). I
tried to compile an SMP kernel (uncommented the two smp options and
commented the i386 and i486 cpu). the installation went well but it
doesn't boot. it hangs as soon as it start to boot (I'm not near the
computer so I can't tell where did it hang, my friend who was there
couldn't make something out of it, he only said that it hang after 2 or 3
lines, also I couldn't find anything in /var/log/messages). I was
wondering if the GENERIC file is the one that the default kernel is
compiled from. any ideas?

also, I need some advise about firewall. I need a basic firewall (just to
protect this machine, the network is already behind firewall). do I need
to compile kernel IPFIREWALL support?

thanx
--
Haim