4.9-STABLE --> 4.8-RELEASE downgrade. Pitfalls?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jun 9 17:01:33 GMT 2004

On Jun 8, 2004, at 9:19 PM, Parv wrote:
> wrote Chuck Swiger thusly...
>> Thanks for the response, Parv, but ugh!  I cringe at the notion that
>> continually tweaking make and the port Makefiles causes problems
>> with backwards compatibility to a still-supported FreeBSD release.
>
> That looks like the message that i sent to one of the FreeBSD lists.
> After searching PR database, it seems somebody else found the exact
> reason...
>
>   http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/60288

Ah!  Per se, a bugfix to make isn't the same thing as changing the
features of make, so I am somewhat less concerned about this specific
case than the general one.

> I think life w/ NetBSD would not be so bad via its FreeBSD ports
> equivalent "pkgsrc".  One other known benefit, via pkgviews, is that
> multiple versions of a particular an be simultaneously installed/used
> at the cost of use of many symbolic links.
>
> Here are some things on pkgsrc ...

Yes, I'm using NetBSD and pkgsrc a little bit myself, although I am
much more familiar with FreeBSD than the former.  I found NetBSD to be
fine but, hmm, minimalist?  The notion of a package system that works
everywhere is a good one, I just wish it played nice with the local
platform conventions a little more closely, just as I wish that the
perl+BSDPAN combination in FreeBSD ports would play nice with using
CPAN directly a little better.

--
-Chuck