Mysql Problems

Kyle Mott kyle at xraided.net
Wed Jun 9 06:30:48 GMT 2004

I've now done buildworld twice, to no avail; for some reason, every 1-3
minutes a new mysql process is started, for which looks like no apparent
reason. Mysql on this machine is used very rarely, though it does get
checked by Nagios regularly. I've had a tough time finding any logs for
mysql, which ended up being in /var/db/mysql but they didn't tell me
anything of relevance (that I can see). I built mysql with linuxthreads,
and I'm using my-small.cnf, not sure if they could be contributing to
the odd behavior. I've also tried rebuilding the port
(/usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server/) several times, which didn't seem
to make a difference.

Right now, after being up for 15 minutes, there's 55 mysql processes
(when there's normally < 15). When I run 'top', it says the state for
most of the mysql processes is 'pause', and they are taking very little
resources (thank god). The only other thing I have done is move /var/db
to /usr/db, and then 'ln -s /usr/db /var/db', but everything else seems
to be fine (locate, pgsql, nut, etc.). I thought permissions might have
been wrong, because /var/db/mysql was 0700, so I made it 0755, which
didn't change anything.

Any suggestions? I have 2 other systems that I need to update fairly
soon, but I'm afraid to if this is going to happen. :<

-Kyle Mott