Possible portrange.randomized problems?

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Thu Jun 3 13:36:39 PDT 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Pete French wrote:

> > Sounds like we're confusing problems then.  I have no insight into the
> > MySQL problems, unfortunately.
>
> The mysql problem is (for me) also the portrange problem. See other email,
> the mysql connection problem goes away when I disable the randomisation. As
> it only started with 4.10 (when randomisation arived) then thats fairly
> good circumstantial evidence. Other people seeem to have been having
> other problems with mysql since 4.9 though.
>
> -pcf.

Are you using TCP sockets for the connection to MySQL?

If the MySQL connections are triggered by some sort of website, perhaps
you could use http_load or apachebench to cause the problem to happen
quickly, thereby allowing you to test with portrange=1 and confirm whether
or not sockets are (temporarily) stick in the SYN_SENT state.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack