SMP and NMI errors (4.10)

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sun Jul 11 15:34:52 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Paul Civati wrote:

> I have a 4.10-p2 box with dual Xeon CPUs and Tyan S2727 motherboard.
>
> During buildworld I get:
>
> Jul 11 18:28:41 server /kernel: NMI ISA 2c, EISA ff
>
> Roughly about 10-40 times during the build.

NMIs sometimes get triggered for ECC corrections, which is why a memtester
wouldn't see it.  I think there is a kernel option somewhere that hooks
NMI and attempts to get information from the platform as to what DIMM
triggered it. Otherwise you might check the Event Log in the BIOS for ECC
events.

> If I boot a uniprocessor kernel this problem doesn't occur.

It might be temperature related then :)