SMP and NMI errors (4.10)

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Sun Jul 11 12:40:36 PDT 2004

I have a 4.10-p2 box with dual Xeon CPUs and Tyan S2727 motherboard.

During buildworld I get:

Jul 11 18:28:41 server /kernel: NMI ISA 2c, EISA ff

Roughly about 10-40 times during the build.

If I boot a uniprocessor kernel this problem doesn't occur.

Also, when I first put the machine together I ran with a single CPU
installed and also noticed this problem (probably to a lesser extent),
with a SMP kernel seeing 2 CPUs because of the HT.

I have tried disabling ACPI in the BIOS.

I ran memtester for about 7 runs without any errors.

>From the list archives I read that these errors are indicative of a
hardware problem but I am unsure of this seeing that a uniprocessor
kernel does not exhibit the problem.

The machine has never panic'd or hung, but obviously these errors
aren't very encouraging.

(Disk controller is 3ware 7006-2 if that makes any difference)

Anyone have any clues to what's going on here?

-Paul-