atacontrol Raid, cannot re-add member to array

Harald Schmalzbauer h at schmalzbauer.de
Sun Jul 4 14:33:39 PDT 2004

Am Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2004 09:32 schrieb Steve O'Hara-Smith:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:40:11 +0200
>
> "Conrad Burger" <conrad.burger at swistgroup.com> wrote:
> > That's until I unplugged one of the array members.
> > The system boots up fine from the second disk,
> > but the problem ... I can't get atacontrol to rebuild the mirror onto the
> > disk that was removed.
> >
> > I have tried every command on the atacontrol man page, but to no avail.
>
> 	I came across this advice in a December 2003 posting here, I'd be
> interested to know if it works for you.

> From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h at schmalzbauer.de>
> To: andris at multicom.lv, <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: Problem with Sil 680 RAID card
> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:04:41 +0100
>
> <snip stuff about creating RAID arrays with atacontrol>
>
> Rebuilding is a bit complex. You have to do a 'atacontrol detach
> "channelOfTheFailedDrive"'
> and 'atacontrol attach "channelOfTheFailedDrive"' then 'atacontrol rebuild
> ar0'

This was only for the sil0680 chipset. HPT372 e.g. is completley unsupported
in -stable.
I've never tried ataraid with "non-raid" controllers but I doubt that
detach/attach would work. I asked Søren about the missing addspare in -stable
but never got any answer.

I just had extreme problems with ataraid on -current and am awaiting some
response about these issues, I just can hope that some time ataraid will be
lifted to what the man page promises.

-Harry