atacontrol Raid, cannot re-add member to array

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 4 15:10:58 PDT 2004

On 2004.07.04 23:33:28 +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> I've never tried ataraid with "non-raid" controllers but I doubt that
> detach/attach would work.

It does work, you "just" have to hotswap the disk [1].  I tried it
some time ago, and I successfully did a rebuild, though I did kill one
of the disks shortly after since I tried to plug in the power cable
the wrong way during another test (yes that's stupid, I know :-) ).

> I asked Søren about the missing addspare in -stable
> but never got any answer.

AFAIK Søren does not update the ata driver in stable since it's
somewhat different than the one in -CURRENT, and he does not have the
time to maintain both codebases.

AFAIR somebody made a patch for addspare functionality on -STABLE not
to long ago.  It should be in GNATS somewhere.

> I just had extreme problems with ataraid on -current and am awaiting some
> response about these issues, I just can hope that some time ataraid will be
> lifted to what the man page promises.

Well, I'm using it just fine on my main mailserver (running 5.2.1) but
that's a RAID1 with standard a ATA controller.

[1] WARNING: If you try to hotswap a disk without the proper hardware
you might kill your disk (and possibly other parts of the computer)...

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team