X11 with nvidia --> panic

Karel J. Bosschaart karelj at kayjay.xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 22 15:04:39 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:21:45PM +0100, Raphael H. Becker wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I tried to set up X11 with the x11/nvidia-driver port yesterday. Set up
> my X11 config and loader.conf (didn't work automatically). I had to
> set up the linux module in loader.conf otherwise the nvidia module
> didn't work (see beginning of the first session in dmesg-file).
>
> I disabled xdm in /etc/ttys, tried it with "startx".
>
> X11 starts but the console does not switch to graphics mode, it "hangs"
> at the startup messages. As you can see in the dmesg-File (2 reboots!)
> the end of the 2nd session ends with a kernel panic I didn't see on the
> console.
>
> All relevant config- and logfiles are located under
> http://rhb.uugrn.org/temp/X11-nvidia/

There are quite some ways to use the nvidia driver. Difficult to
say which one is suited for you, you have to try different things
and keep the one that does not crash the machine :-/.
The docs in /usr/X11R6/share/doc/NVIDIA provide some info on what
you can try.

About your config:
You seem to have agp in your kernel so it's not needed to load it in
boot/loader.conf. Did you compile the port with WITH_FREEBSD_AGP="YES",
since you apparently want to use the AGP from FreeBSD? Alternatively,
if you built the nvidia driver with default options (nvidia agp),
comment out agp in your kernel config and comment the agp entry in
loader.conf (although it might work when both agp's are loaded).

Also see this page http://www.soulwax.net/nvidia/ , it contains
useful tips.

Good luck,
Karel.