"make -C ..." causes error in net/tkabber/Makefile, line 17

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Sun Feb 1 21:45:19 PST 2004

>> No..4.8 is not maintained except for security fixes.
> Even though man page & the binary will remain inconsistent w/ each
> other?

The point Kris is making is that the RELENG_4_8 branch represents a point in
time in the development of 4-STABLE, and only critical security fixes are
applied to that release.  If the make document was wrong at the point in time
when 4.8-RELEASE was tagged, then it will be wrong for that release for ever
(unless you can convince the security officer that the doc bug is a critical
security fix.....)

If you think you need these sort of evolutionary improvements, then perhaps
you should consider running a -STABLE version rather than a -RELEASE version.
The _whole point_ of -RELEASE versions is that they don't change like this!

Patches to fix 4-STABLE will be gladly accepted (if this hasn't already been
fixed, which I suspect it has), but that won't change the fact that 4.8-RELEASE
was wrong when it was released, and all the RELENG_4_8 versions for the rest of
forever will still be wrong.